Saturday, January 16, 2010

Formatting Windoes Explorer Detail Columns to Fit Contents

If you use Microsoft Excel, you may have discovered a shortcut that is undocumented, so far as I know, that allows you to auto-fit a single worksheet column to fit its contents by double-clicking on the divider between the column and its right hand neighbor.

Today, I discovered that, not too surprisingly, the same shortcut works in the Windows Explorer. Since I work in the Detail view most of the time, I am always adjusting the widths of one or another of its columns, depending on the information that is currently of most interest. Just for fun, I decided to test the double-click. Sure enough, the width adjusted, exactly as it would in Microsoft Excel!

In both cases, you must double-click on the border at the top of the window. In Excel, this is the part where you see the column labels, A, B. C ... etc.

Likewise, in the Windows Explorer, you must double-click on the area that contains its column labels, File, Size, Type, Date Modified, ... etc.

This new knowledge will save me lots of time!

No comments: